Thursday, September 11, 2014

Day 2 of the September Papertrey Ink Countdown

Hello Everybody! Time for more projects featuring the Chapter 3 Designs September products for Papertrey Ink. I've got lots of stitchy goodness for you. Let's just get started.


Today I'm introducing the Stitched Frame Dies and the Stitched Ornament Hanger Die. The Stitched Frame comes with all the components to make a "polaroid" style felt frame. Add in a photo and the Stitched Ornament Hanger and you've got the best little keepsakes to hang on your tree this year.


I made a trio of ornaments for my tree featuring some of my favorite kid photos from the last year. I stitched them into the opening of the Stitched Frame from the back. I also added words from the Stitched Holiday Words Collection that you saw on some cards yesterday. Three of the eight words fit in the space below the opening. You see them all here.


I die cut a coordinating felt bow from the Happy Hydrangea Die Collection and topped it off with a button. These I just hot glued onto the ornament after it was stitched together.

The Stitched Ornament Hanger is stitched between the back and front of the frame for a seamless look. I'll use it a different way tomorrow so you can see how you can stitch the ends into a project. I have big long term plans for this little number. Thing of all the things we can make ornaments out of...oh the possibilities.




On the back of all three ornaments I stitched in the year using the Stitched Year Dies. These also will fit underneath the opening on the front of the frame.  My mom still hangs all our childhood ornaments on the tree every year. I still enjoy finding mine. I hope in years to come, my kids will look at these hanging on the tree with great fondness.

Needless to say, these photo ornaments would make fabulous Christmas gifts this year for grandparents and friends. I plan to sneak photos of my friends kids and whip up some ornaments to give to them this year. And I think both sets of grandparents need them as well.


If you are planning on trying this yourself, just get wallet sized prints made at your photo processing place and die cut them. Here's a good example. See how the holes are on the inside of the cut? This allows you to stitch the photo in from the back.


You can also cut the middle part out of cardstock instead of a photo and stitch that in for another type of ornament. I found that Dawn's new 'Tis the Season Sentiments are the perfect fit. Embellish at will after that. With all the stamps in your supply closet, just think of the fun you can make creating ornaments for a friend or family member.


For another idea, I didn't cut the opening in the Stitched Frame Die, but instead turned it 90 degrees and cut the phrase "peace, love, + joy" using the Stitched Holiday Words. I trimmed it out in ruffled gingham ribbon when I stitched it up. My hanger is created using a length of Pure Poppy Ribbon. Additional accents from Button Stackers and Limeade Ice Vintage Buttons help complete the look.


And lastly, I wanted to create something as a display piece for the holidays. I came up with this. Would look lovely in your home or adding a wee festive touch to your work space. Great co-worker gift.

Also included in the Stitched Frame Collection is a filler piece that has holes for cross stitching a pattern or to be left as a design element. I cut that piece out of Aqua Mist Cardstock and just left as is for interest. Felt pieces from Fancy Flakes and Button Stackers add a festive touch.




In order to make this stand up on its own, I literally stitched in this long skinny popsicle stick.  It is skinner than the ones you find in the freezer case:). A quarter of an inch wide maybe. Got a whole bag of them at Hobby Lobby. I was able to work my stitches around it. Perfect. It holds up my frame, which I then just stick in the top of a wooden spool wrapped up in Betsy's new Sparkle and Shine Paper.

There you go. I hope your mind is a'whirl! These are such great gifts.

These products and so much more will be available at 10 PM EST on September 15, 2014 at www.papertreyink.com More inspiration below.

Nichole Heady
Heather Nichols
Betsy Veldman
Dawn McVey
Maile Belles
Lizzy Jones
Laura Bassen


Supplies

Photo Ornaments
Dies: Stitched Frame, Stitched Holiday Words, Stitched Ornament Hanger, Happy Hydrangea
Felt: Limeade Ice, Blueberry Sky, Pure Poppy
Buttons: Limeade Ice, Blueberry Sky, Pure Poppy

Jingle All the Way Ornament
Dies: Stitched Frame, Holly Jolly, Stitched Ornament Hanger, Journal Card Toppers
Stamps: Tis the Season
Cardstock: Pure Poppy
Ink: Scarlet Jewel
Felt: Simply Chartreuse, Pinefeather, Vintage Cream

Peace Love and Joy Ornament
Dies: Stitched Frame,  Button Stack, Stitched Holiday Words
Pure Poppy Grograin Ribbon
Limeade Ice Buttons

Joy Frame Display
Dies: Stitched Frame, Button Stackers, Fancy Flakes, Stitched Holiday Words
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Stamper's Select White
Pattern Paper: Sparkle and Shine
Felt: Hibiscus Burst, Vintage Cream, Pure Poppy
Ripe Avocado and Hibiscus Burst Button
Skinny Popsicle Stick and Wooden Spool

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I LOVE this die set. You have showcased it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable ornaments! :) Love everything you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am head over heels about these dies! They are fabulous! I feel so inspired (I especially love how you stitched the year on the backs!!!) Thanks so much for designing them and sharing your projects today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing. Love the ornaments. Just wonderful ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumminess at it's best!! I am sorting through my embroidery floss right now in anticipation yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love. This one is gonna sell out fast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ornament with the date stitched on the back. Such a lovely keepsake. It would be nice to have a set of stitched numbers this size to stitch any date for older photos on the back. Love this idea. Thanks for all the lovely stitched dies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the home spun look of your ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to make personalized gifts. Love the project using the wooden spool. This would be great used on your Christmas table at each person's plate. This set is on the top of my list. Thank you for the great projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such great ornaments for the tree. I still find my childhood ones on the tree too! It is a nice tradition to pass down to our own kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such fun ornaments! I make photo ornaments for the tree every year so I'm always looking for new products to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm really liking these darling Christmas ornaments...so original and such a nice way to begin a new family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are just beautiful and what a great idea! I'm so glad you gave us a bunch of examples all with different emphasis. Can't wait to get my hands on these dies. Looks like the perfect gifts for friends at work will be all stitched up (teehee - pun intended) ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've shown how versatile this Stitched Frame die is. Good job.

    ReplyDelete